fivestepsdown: living the questions of faith

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Heal My Heart

Ever since I moved into this great new house, I've been having neighbor problems. Almost every Saturday night they have a party. The music is so loud you can feel the beat through the walls and the floorboards. Usually the festivities last until 1 or 2 in the morning. Sometimes there is a band; afterwards they congregate on the street and talk loudly so that we can hear them in our bedrooms. Sometimes there is a DJ - that means there is a generator to power the lights and sound sytem adding to the cacophanous noise. From this description you can already surmise that I don't live next to your typical house. It's not a house. Nor is it a bar. It's a church.

The congregation rents out spaces for parties on Saturday nights. I know many congregations do this to raise funds and to reach out to the community. That's not the problem. The after midnight end time is the problem. If we lived in a commercial neighborhood, I say, "Sure - party on." But we live on a street that is residentially zoned. And calling the police doesn't help. Going next door to request that they turn the music down certainly doesn't help either. Tonight I was met with rude comments and a flippant "oh, we'll be finished soon." That was 45 minutes ago.

I tried to stay calm when presenting my request. But when I came home all I really wanted to do was curse and chuck a brick through their windows. I know nothing excuses an action like that, but my heart was - and still is - heavy with sorrow for my emotions and for the actions of my neighbors.

Heal my heart, O merciful God.
Fill me with love and grace and peace.
Guide me to serenity, lead me to speak with authority and compassion.
Be with me, heal me, grow your Spirit within me.

1 Comments:

  • Man, that's a tough one. You've gotta be happy about a vibrant congregation, just not next door after midnight!

    (1) Noise-cancelling headphones; or
    (2) Ambien, Sonata, or some other hypnotic sleep-inducing substance.

    ;-)

    And I can feel for your inner dilemma. You feel bad for feeling the way you feel, yet you feel powerless to change it. Been there. Yesterday.

    By Blogger Chris, at 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home