fivestepsdown: living the questions of faith

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Houston

I've been in Houston since Thursday night. I can't really tell you why I'm here, but I am. I guess part of it is to be in prayer with Beth Stroud and her family. I guess part of it is to get out of Washington, DC. I guess part of it is to have a time of retreat so that I can read, pray, and think more clearly.

On Thursday, the United Methodist Church's Judicial Council heard some very important cases, three of which focus on issues of sexuality and doctrine. Beth's case is probably the most famous, but two others have distinct implications for our church. Another case centered around the decision of the Virginia Annual Conference to place a clergy person on leave without pay for his denial of local church membership to a person because of their sexual orientation. And a final case, was that against the California-Nevada Conference for their resolution stating that sexual orientation and gender identity were “statuses” and thus covered under the non-discrimination policy of the Constitution of the United Methodist Church.

While I recognize that I take a certain stand on such issues, I continue to hold the entire United Methodist Church and the Church universal in prayer. I think it might be easy to think of the Judicial Council hearings in terms on win-lose. The deeper reality, however, is that no matter the decision of the Judicial Council, our church is in a difficult place. We don't always reflect God's love and grace, not matter which side we're on. We never repent, and although many of us may say we are "reconciling" - we think just because we have reconciled issues of faith and sexuality, that we have already attained perfection.

Holy other, Holy one, immerse us in your grace. Teach us to continue the process of reconciling that was begun in Jesus Christ. Heal us, hold us, be with us forever. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home