fivestepsdown: living the questions of faith

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Being Thankful

Give thanks with a grateful heart,
Give thanks to the Holy One,
Give thanks because God's given,
Jesus Christ God's son,

And now let the weak say "I am strong,"
Let the poor say "I am rich"
Because of what the Lord has done for us,
Give thanks.

Does anyone ever wonder why November seems to go by so quickly? It seems like it was only a few days ago that the foliage began to change and God's creation began to engage in the act of renewal once again. And so in this time, I give thanks for many things - and I'd like to share those with others.

I give thanks for my family. Not just for my parents - although it must be said I give thanks for them each and every day - but for my extended family. For the cousins, aunts, and uncles, and in-laws who have shaped my life and give care to my parents when I can't be there. It may just be going to lunch or a conversation on the phone, but it gives their lives meaning. Thank you.

I give thanks for those who have encouraged me in my educational pursuits. I don't think I've ever had a "bad" teacher, but there is an extensive list of those who challenged me and continue to do so to this day: Margaret (Keyser) Northrup, Katrina Andrews, Paige Fleming, Kay Collins, Bill VanPelt, Rob Rupp, John Warner, Arthur Holmes, John Saunders, Sharon Ringe, Beverly Mitchell, Traci West, and Catherine Keller. Through each of you, I've learned the love of reading (and re-reading!), how to engage the texts I read, how to learn from that which I read and write, and more importantly, how to lead others to the love of learning.

I give thanks to those who have encouraged me and challenged me in my journey of faith: Mary Jo Sims, Peyton Strouth, Janelle Willey, Mary Kraus, Chip Aldridge, Carrie Brunken, Jeff and Leighann Prothro, Paul Perez, Anna Mercedes, Rick Bohannon, Michael Sniffen, and Mark Miller. Whether you know it or not, you helped me in small, and often large, ways to draw closer to God and begin again on the great adventure called Discipleship.

I give thanks to those who have taken the time to give me a hug when I needed it, give me a sour look when I needed it, or give me some quiet time in prayer when I needed it. These small things make a big difference in my life.

And so, as Thanksgiving draws near, I ask myself: "How can I do the small things to make God's love known to others?" Maybe it's not something we plan to do. Maybe we do it because we are disciples of Jesus, and when the opportunity arises, we don't ask questions like "what's in it for me?" or "can I put that on my resume?," we just do seize the moment, give thanks to God, and continue on the great adventure.


1 Comments:

  • thanks for the wonderful and inspiring post.

    shalom,
    jonathon

    By Blogger Jonathon, at 12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home