fivestepsdown: living the questions of faith

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Sago

Today's news hits my heart heavy. Please hold in prayer the thirteen miners trapped in the Sago mine in West Virginia, their families and neighbors, and the rescue workers.

The mine is up Sago Creek near the little town of Tallmansville, about 5 miles south of Buckhannon, West Virginia, where I went to college and worked for a year before I moved to Washington, DC.

As much as my heart goes out to those affected by this tragedy, I know in my heart that this could have been prevented. Sago has had numerous health and safety violations over the years. In college, I visited the Sago mine numerous times to collect river water for a study on acid mine drainage. The people of Sago Creek are proud, tenacious, and compassionate folks.

Let our hearts and minds be with them in this time of uncertainty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home